|Ferdinand, Gonzalo 2, Adrian, Caliban 2, Alonso 2, Trinculo, Prospero 5, and Miranda 4|
This has been a year-long project.
First, I read aloud a children's version of the play, to introduce my students to the characters and the plot.
Then, I used a document reader to project images from the graphic novel (the complete original script) onto the whiteboard, while a dramatized reading played on CD. We read along on the whiteboard, stopping occasionally to discuss important vocabulary, plot points, and characters' objectives and motivations. We did this 30 minutes per week for a few months.
While this was going on, during lunch every day, I sat at my desk, adapting the play into a 45-minute version. There are adaptations out there, but I had something very specific in mind. I wanted to keep as much of Shakespeare's language as possible, cut what was inappropriate for elementary school, and make it all come in under an hour. There wasn't a version that did that. Plus, I wanted all 32 students to have speaking parts, which required double-, quadruple-, and quintuple-casting some parts.
As I finished pages, I passed them out and we performed them in class.
When I had typed the final words on page 30, I had a copy of the complete script spiral-bound for each student.
Fast forward to Friday... In our afternoon rehearsal, the class came in only 3 1/2 minutes over 45 minutes!
We still have all of next week to rehearse, and I have a few more costume pieces to gather.
To quote Prospero 4, "Now does my project gather to a head."