Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Vacation Bible School: Night #1

Last night was the first night of Vacation Bible School. The theme this year is Journey Off the Map, an adventure theme, so the kids are grouped into monkeys, frogs, pythons, etc.
My four year old was a monkey (K4) last night, but because she was so quick to answer questions during their lesson - which makes me feel like I've been doing my job ;) - the teachers asked me if she's supposed to be with the kindergarteners. I told them that she just turned four, but if they thought that would be a good fit, they could do that.

Part of me wants her to stay with the preschoolers, because the kindergarteners look so big. But we'll see how tonight goes.
The monkeys made two crafts - cardboard tube binoculars and paper plate/bean rattles.
The decorations were super cute. I have to share. See these flowers and mushrooms? The flowers are made from the chips and dip bowls from the 99 Cent Store. So creative. They painted the centers of the flowers and hot glued on a green pool noodle stem. The mushrooms are also plastic bowls from the 99 Cent Store. They added white dots, and pool noodle stems. And the grass is made from green plastic table cloths.
Keeping with the adventure theme, their snacks were DIY lion cookies. The teachers gave each child a cookie covered with pink frosting, a little plastic cup filled with popcorn, and a little plastic cup containing three M&Ms and two pretzel sticks. The kids put the popcorn around the circumference of the cookie (for a lion's mane) and used the M&Ms to make eyes and a nose, and the pretzel sticks were whiskers. So cute.

The photo at the top of the post is my daughter raising her hand to say, "Excuse me, I need some M&Ms and pretzels. I don't have any. Because I ate them." While she would clearly fail the marshmallow test, she's definitely honest.

She was given an extra cup of M&Ms and pretzels to make her cookie. :)
Decorating her paper plate rattle
Learning the dance moves to the theme song
Check out Night #2 here! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment