Pages

Friday, November 13, 2015

Week in Review

1. Sunday afternoon, we went to the Natural History Museum for the Peruvian and Egyptian mummies exhibit.
When my four year old saw this, she said, "Ooh, look Mom! Hieroglyphs!" And the bigger kids told her, "No, you're wrong; they're hieroglyphics." My daughter put her hand on her hip and said, "No, actually YOU'RE wrong; they're HIEROGLYPHS." At which point I had to give her the talk about walking away from certain arguments.
2. Sunday was also the last day of the NHM's Spider Pavilion.
Look closer...
We're currently reading Charlotte's Web, so when I saw all of these baby spiders, I thought of the end of the book, when Charlotte's babies are born.

Spiders are amazing creatures, and while I'm terrified of them, I also get excited by the idea of being able to get up close and personal with them in this very safe way.

3. Monday at Classical Conversations, they dissected owl pellets. I wish I could have been there. I love owl pellets.

4. Tuesday, my daughter got to bake chocolate cupcakes with our home(pre)school co-op. To use Mary Berry's word, they were "scrummy."

5. There was, of course, ballet.

6. And we started on our latest sewing kit: "Ruby the Reindeer."

7. Our used (like new) copy of More Milly Molly Mandy arrived in the mail yesterday! So, it will officially be our next read aloud. Yay!

8. "Come and Play" was this week's piano lesson, along with some Theory coloring pages.

9. The Cherub Choir added "O Come All Ye Faithful" to the songs they will sing in the Christmas pageant, so my daughter has been singing it around the house. :)

10. In math, my daughter got very excited that 11 cents could be made with one dime and one penny, as well as with two nickels and one penny.

11. We spent three days on Lesson 221 in The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading because it has words like "psychology" and "psychiatrist." Silent p before s and Greek ch!

12. There was some Duolingo Spanish, shopping for Operation Christmas Child, Classical Conversations review, and Youtube videos about how baby carrots are made and about spider spinnerets (hey, when she asks, I look it up!).

13. Finally, this morning, we ate donuts and watched Saturday morning cartoons from the 1980s in the viewing room at Vidiots. Her favorite cartoon was Inspector Gadget. (I can't believe how easily I remembered the all the words to the theme songs from Duck Tales and Muppet Babies, and I enjoyed singing along with the other nostalgic grown ups.)





No comments:

Post a Comment