Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Alice in Urban Wonderland

I'm reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with my fourth grade class. We're on Chapter 6. 

Today, one of my students showed me a picture he had drawn. It had a teeny tiny Alice in the lower left hand corner, and the rest of the page was white. 

When I asked what he was going to do with all of the negative space, he said that he was going to color it black. 

I told him that he needed to do something other than color it all black, and he argued, "But sewers are black." 

"Alice didn't fall into a sewer."

"But holes go to the sewer," he said.

"But she's not a Ninja Turtle."

"But-"

Curiouser and curiouser, thought the teacher, as she watched a white rabbit lift a maintenance hole cover and jump feet first into the Los Angeles sewer system.

No comments:

Post a Comment