Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Little Bo Peep and Eeyores

In an effort to get into the habit of reading poetry, I've been choosing a couple of nursery rhyme books each time we visit the library.

Today, while we were reading from Lavender's Blue (published in 1954, compiled by Kathleen Lines and illustrated by Harold Jones - I love these illustrations), we read all five stanzas of Little Bo Peep. Did you know this part of the poem? (If I've heard or read it before, I sure didn't remember it.)

It happened one day as Bo-Peep did stray
Into a meadow hard by,
There she espied their tails side by side,
All hung on a tree to dry.

She heaved a sigh and wiped her eye,
Then went o'er hill and dale,
And tried what she could, as a shepherdess should,
To tack to each sheep its tail. 

I told my daughter it was like how Christopher Robin has to attach Eeyore's tail. And she said, yes, that Christopher Robin uses a hammer and a nail, and then she added, "But real sheep and real Eeyores don't need their tails attached."
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment