Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Minecraft Mission

Over Winter Break, I had my students build California missions. One of my students built his mission - not out of styrofoam, but - out of pixels!

He gave the class a tour, taking us inside the church, the courtyard, the friar's bedroom, the animal pens, the orchard, and the cemetery. Minecraft - which I've never played, but now understand why it has become a phenomenon - is like Legos; everything must be built one block at a time. The pews in the church, the altar, etc.

I was so impressed, and I couldn't help but think of all of the possible structures a child could build using this game. Narration in a digital world...





1 comment:

  1. Minecraft is very worthwhile to learn about. Some of the basics that are immediately obvious are math, art and music. Storytelling, such as http://youtu.be/4gtU6q5dsaE We're Going on a Ghast Hunt, and more is possible. Even quantum physics. There is an organization dedicated to Minecraft for education.

    ReplyDelete