Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Add This to the Reasons Why We're Homeschooling...

Three of my female students told me that a boy in the class (the boy who is presenting the biggest challenge of my teaching career - and I'm in Year 11) pushed each of them (using both of his hands, not an accident) while they were lined up before school this morning.

Later this morning, I discussed this situation with the counselor's aide. His response was, "Uh oh, he's started liking girls."

As the mother of a daughter, I never want my female child treated this way by a male child. I most certainly don't want someone in authority to dismiss a male child's abusive behavior as natural, or to teach my daughter that males should be allowed to abuse females because it's "natural."

Non-homeschoolers question how homeschooled children will be "socialized." Not like this, that's for sure.

My students are nine-years-old. I have already - and it's only September 9th - had to have the talk with them about how I don't tolerate students talking about "boyfriends," "girlfriends," and students "liking" each other. I tell them every year that this is inappropriate for elementary school. (One of my girls last year told me that her mother told her she could have a boyfriend when she had a job, her own place to live, and her own car. I told her that her mother was a smart woman.)

This is how public school children are socialized: nine-year-olds spending their school time focused on who "likes" whom. No wonder there's no time for Latin or Plutarch! Or math to mastery. Or grammar. Or, or, or...

Add this to the reasons.

1 comment:

  1. There's not much positive socialization that goes on in the schools but there is much negative. But yet that is like the #1 concern of so many - socialization.

    What you said below is so true.

    Non-homeschoolers question how homeschooled children will be "socialized." Not like this, that's for sure.

    Not like this, for sure! I wish people could realize there is a better way.

    ReplyDelete