Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2019

3rd Grade: Free Reading

Here is how we approach Free Reading...

During the day, Gemma can read whatever she wants, and she reads a lot. I strew books, and sometimes she takes to them. (This past week, she read Tommy Smith’s Animals, which I had purchased thinking we would use it for natural history. Plans change. Gemma has asked me to also buy Tommy Smith at the Zoo, but I think she wants to read it as a free read and not a “school” book. Beautiful how the line between free reading and “school” can blur like that, if you’re willing to step out of the way and let it.) I also let Gemma make her own choices at the library, as well as from my classroom library, even if the books she chooses might be considered “twaddle” by the Charlotte Mason police. 

At bedtime, we have two books going. One is a Mom choice, and one is a Gemma choice. The Mom choice is actually a “school” book that I move to the bedtime slot; I don’t think every book needs to be narrated. Our last Mom choice was Robin Hood (Pyle); our current Mom choice is The Princess and the Goblin. (After the introduction of Curdie, and the knowledge that there is The Princess and Curdie, Gemma asked me to get her that book, too.) Our last Gemma choice was The Tarantula in my Purse (Jean Craighead George; an absolute must-read); our current Gemma choice is Beware, Princess Elizabeth (Carolyn Meyer).

No comments:

Post a Comment