Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Mariel’s Theorem

I woke up this morning with prime numbers on the brain. (Last night, Gemma and I read the Goldbach Conjecture chapter in Life of Fred: Decimals.)

So I emailed Dr. Schmidt to ask him what the name for this is:
Some prime numbers can be the sum of two prime numbers. Examples: 2+3=5; 2+5=7; 2+29=31; etc. One of the addends must be 2, because two odd numbers would sum to an even number and the only even prime is 2.

Dr. Schmidt emailed back and said he didn’t know the name for it, and said that I could name it “Mariel’s Theorem.” 😉 So, unless a mathematician has already named this - I call dibs!

2 comments:

  1. Ouah congratulations, that's really something!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely adorable! I second the motion! It is official!

    ReplyDelete