Pages

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Year 1: Week 24


This was my favorite quote from our school reading this week: "But if you keep your eyes open, you can learn a great many things like these, which children shut up in towns cannot see." It was from Plant Life in Field and Garden by Arabella Buckley. The reason it jumped out at me is because we ARE children shut up in towns!

It's the end of Year 1: Term 2! Oh my!

We:
*spent a day playing with friends at the beach
*actually did paper sloyd! We made envelopes.

*read Bible passages, including The Stilling of the Storm
*drew a princess sitting and reading

*completed Life of Fred: Liver and started Life of Fred: Mineshaft
*read 3 pages of Lamb's As You Like It
*read some poems in Nature in Verse
*read about seahorses
*read about Alexander the Great (and reviewed where Macedonia and Greece are)
*did some cursive
*played piano
*went to dance class

*completed a couple of pages of our new French & Spanish resources - Carson Dellosa's - Middle/High School. I considered the Elementary version of these boooks, but it was too easy after months of Duolingo and children's vocabulary apps. We're going to go slowly, and utilize pronunciation resources on the internet (and my husband, as a pronunciation resource for Spanish). I wanted a little more structure because I want to end first grade with Gemma having learned a few basic sentences, as opposed to just a bunch of nouns.

*read the final chapter in Plant Life in Field and Garden. Looking back on the past eight months, I'm happy I chose two books for Natural History (an animal book and a plant book), and it's something I want to continue - at least - through Gemma's second grade year. Our next plant book will be Margaret Morely's Seed Babies.
*read a fairy tale and a fable
*biked to the beach with Daddy

*sang songs
*listened to Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty Waltz
*re-viewed Van Gogh's Sunflowers
*completed our current read aloud - Detectives in Togas - which I didn't love at first, but grew to enjoy. Gemma couldn't get enough of it. She loves mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment