Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Week in Review: Tide Pools, Splash Pads, and Swimming Pools

Some of the things we did this week (my last week of vacation before returning to my full-time teaching job):

We went to the Leo Carrillo tide pools. We met up with our home(pre)school co-op and the kids played happily for four hours.
We missed low tide (7 a.m.), but one of the kids was able to find this crab who had taken up residence in a worm snail's shell.
Here are some of the other items I found...
I'm pretty sure the brown ridged shell is a cowrie, but I couldn't find one online that looked just like it. The shell in the lower right is from a sea urchin.

I also found a very pretty rock, a limpet shell, and a piece of sea glass.
Gemma did some rock climbing...
...and some rock carrying.
Another day, we met up with our Classical Conversations community to play at a splash pad.
Gemma finished reading Who Is Stealing the 12 Days of Christmas? by Martha Freeman. 

She practiced piano, and went to dance class.

She has 17 problems at the end to finish, and then she will have completed Life of Fred: Farming. While she's looking forward to Fred Goldfish, she's in no hurry to do these.

We went to the library, the bookstore (to order a copy of John Muir Laws' beautiful nature journaling book with a gift card I won last summer from the library), and to my classroom so my wonderful husband could get all of my boxes down off my cabinets (while it took me four hours to put them up there, he was able to get them down in 15 minutes).

We ended the week with Family Fun Day at the community college's pool, four hours of swimming, playing water polo, eating sno-cones, and wibit rafting.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of Gemma under this sheltering rock (first pic). Do you know what kind of rock it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, but it looks like a hand - doesn't it? I love that rock. I took a picture of Gemma and two of the other children playing under it last year.

      Delete
    2. Yes, like a gentle ogre's hand :o)

      Delete
  2. I wish we could have joined you at the ocean. It's so exciting to be starting a new school year. Your students are fortunate to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie. :) Likewise! Have you started Challenge?

      Delete