Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Mermaid Cake

My amazing mom made my daughter's 4th birthday cake. She woke up early today to put on the finishing touches.
She used a spoon to texture the tail, added crushed Nilla Wafer cookies for sand, added her handmade chocolate shells and sea creatures, and made her own fondant waves (after making her own fondant). You should have seen her this morning with a piece of paper, scissors, a pencil, and a knife, drawing her wave pattern and using it to cut the fondant.
Using a hair dryer on "cool" and "low" was my idea.

We added a drop of blue food coloring to a Ziploc baggie of sugar to make colored sugar. So much cheaper than buying pre-colored sugar, and so easy! But Mom spilled too much in one area and then we needed a way to fix that. Hair dryer.
I'm going to get my mom to guest post about how she pulled this off, step by step, because I think it's so incredible. (And it tasted delicious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment